Honors and Activities:
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell (Highest Rating)
- Austin Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Member Board of Directors, Victoria Advocate Publishing Co., Inc.
Certified mediator in compliance with the Alternative Dispute Resolution Procedures Act.
- Admitted to bar, 1986, Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; U.S. District Courts: Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas.
Author and Speaker:
Recent topics and publications include:
- Consumer Protection: Good faith, bad faith, Texas Insurance Code, the duties and standards of adjusters. (2006)
- Paid Or Incurred; Subrogation/Liens: including a discussion of the "made whole" doctrine, the Texas Supreme Court's recent decision in Fortis Benefits v. Cantu, ERISA, Medicare, Medicaid, workers comp, hospital liens and a whole bunch of other liens you never heard of, but can ruin your life.
- Texas Insurance Code Article 21.21 and 21.55: Extra-Contractual Liability (2005)
- Update on Bad Faith: Extra-Contractual Liability and Articles (2004)
- Unfair Competition and Unfair Practices (2003)
- Recovery for Diminished Value (2002)
- Uninsured and Underinsured Coverage (1999)
- Insurance Coverage Update (1998, 1999)
- Deceptive Trade Practices Act (1999)
- University of Texas (B.A., 1983)
- St. Mary's University (J.D., 1986)
- Teaching Assistant, Legal Research and Writing, St. Mary's University, 1985-1986
When he is not exploring the outdoors with his wife and three children, Mr. McHaney serves as a mentor with the First Tee of Greater Austin where he teaches life skills through golf to middle school students.