As a mediator, John attempts to bring the parties to the “same side of the table” so the problem itself may be viewed as a common enemy to be overcome through the collaborative efforts of the parties, their attorneys (if they are represented) and John as the mediator.
- Stanford University: Bachelor of Science, 1965
- Northwestern University: Master of Business Administration, 1967
- University of Denver College of Law, Juris Doctorate,1973
- Colorado Gerontological Society
- Colorado Bar Association, Elder Law Section
- Colorado Bar Association, Alternate Dispute Resolution Section
- Guardianship Alliance of Colorado
With Priscilla, his former wife, he raised two successful daughters. The older is the mother of two, a much-admired grandson and a sparkling granddaughter. The younger is the mother of another sparkling granddaughter. John has a wide range of interests. He is a voracious reader of history with a great love of language. He reads and recites cowboy poetry and other verse, and he has appeared in community theater. As a member of the Radio Historical Association of Colorado, John authored, directed, and participated in historical radio broadcast recreations and was instrumental in arranging several old-time radio conventions. He is a past officer of the Rocky Mountain Canoe Club and continues to be a frequent participant of white-water canoe trips. John is an enthusiastic supporter of Denver's folk music community and can often be seen attending concerts and other events at Swallow Hill.