Michael Warnecke is a partner in the firm's Patent Litigation practice, where he served as firmwide co-chair from 2009 to 2015. He has focused his practice on major patent litigation cases, including international patent, technology licensing and other intellectual property matters. He has been first chair on numerous patent litigation cases in which he represented companies such as Caterpillar Inc., Brunswick Corporation, MetLife and Mitsubishi Corporation. In one of the most significant cases of his career, Michael obtained successful damages and injunctive relief for Rockwell International on a major trade secret matter. The case was later affirmed on appeal where it garnered substantial national media attention for its innovative use of computer graphics to present evidence.
More recently, in August 2010, Michael was lead trial counsel in the Riddell v. Schutt case. This patent infringement case involved Riddell’s significant football helmet technology developed to reduce concussions. The jury award of $30 million was the largest in Wisconsin history for a patent case.
- Named the Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Patent, 2016
- Listed in Chambers Global, "America's Leading Lawyers," 2014 - 2015
- Recognized as an IP Star by Managing IP, 2013, 2014
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000, 2012 - 2015
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000, Litigation Silver Band, 2012 - 2014
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Listed among the top ten Illinois 2008 Super Lawyers as published by Law & Politics
- Listed in Chambers USA, "America's Leading Business Lawyers" and "America's Leading Intellectual Property Lawyers"
- Listed in the Law Bulletin Publishing Company's Leading Lawyers Network as Illinois Leading Lawyer
- Arbitrator for American Arbitration Association, Chicago
- Mediator, Patent Infringement
- Arbitrator, Patent Infringement, 1997
- Arbitrator, Trade Dress Infringement, 1994
- Participated as Chairman of arbitrator's panel for complex beer distributorship contract arbitration, 1989 - 1990
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2006 - Present: Litigation - Intellectual Property; Litigation - Patent; Patent Law; Trademark Law
- Listed as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Law & Politics, 2005 - 2016