Michael A. Zamat, ESQ
Michael Zamat focuses his practice on general commercial litigation and securities litigation. Mr. Zamat has litigated a wide range of cases in Federal Courts, throughout the country and in the State Courts of Connecticut and New York. Most recently, Mr. Zamat handled a three week trial in the Complex Litigation Docket in the State Court of Connecticut, which resulted in a $700,000.00 verdict for his client, along with a substantial award for attorneys' fees pursuant to the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practives Act. There, he prosecuted claims on behalf of his client against his former partner, both 50% owners of an LLC, involved in the business of high yield and hard money first and second mortgage lending.
A sampling of cases handled by Mr. Zamat include:
- The successful defense of a large third party administrator accused of soliciting customers to enroll in Stranger Originated Life Insurance Plans (resulting in a substantial settlement paid to the client third party administrator);
- Assisting in obtaining a successful result in a defamation claim brought on behalf of a high profile entertainer;
- Securing a successful settlement for a hedge fund over the non-payment of a promissory note and ultimately having sanctions granted against the defendant for breaching the settlement agreement and fraud on the court;
- Obtaining a pre-judgment remedy in order to accelerate the return of invested principle for a former hedge fund executive;
- Retrieving monies lost by an individual in a suit against a brokerage firm alleging various breaches of fiduciary duty and unsuitability claims;
- Bringing a successful FINRA arbitration claim on behalf of a brokerage firm against its clearing bank for improper withholding of funds after the deposit of a substantial, fraudulent check.
In addition to practicing in the Federal and State courts of New York and Connecticut, Mr. Zamat also handles a wide array of arbitrations in front of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and other arbitration panels, including the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and JAMS. He also previously served as litigation counsel to GE Capital Retail Bank f/k/a GE Money Bank in Stamford, Connecticut.
Mr. Zamat received his B.A. in 1998 from the University of Vermont. He earned his J.D. from St. John’s University School of Law in 2002. He is admitted to practice law in New York, Connecticut, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York and U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut.
Attorney Karen S. Poirier
Attorney Poirier attended the University of New Haven, where she played for the women’s soccer team and earned a bachelor’s degree in legal studies with a minor in political science. In 2008, Attorney Poirier graduated from the Western New England School of Law and accepted a job as clerk at the Tolland Superior Court. For two years she under several judges managing the family and civil calendars. In 2010 Attorney Poirier accepted a job as an associate attorney at Trendowski & Allen focusing primarily on family law and insurance defense. In 2012 she co-founded Holmes & Poirier in Hartford which later became the Law Offices of Karen Stolp Poirier. In January of 2020 Attorney Poirier joined Peterson Zamat as the lead family law attorney.