Conflict comes in many different shapes and sizes, but one thing is consistent - conflict brings about change. Our choice in how we deal with conflict determines if this change is positive or negative. A commitment to constructive conflict will often create positive outcomes. However, failure to deal with conflict in a constructive way damages individuals, organizations and relationships. Unfortunately our traditional adversarial process of conflict resolution has a negative influence upon us all. Unresolved conflict often escalates into avoidance, confrontation or violence - all having a very negative impact on everyone involved.
CMC provides, through mediation:
• The opportunity to talk. People don't talk, not to their neighbors, co-workers, or the developer bringing a project to the block. The try to ignore the conflict or expect someone else to fix it. Finally, when the conflict is just to much to ignore, they stop talking, they stop working together, and they explode in anger and unproductive behavior.
• The opportunity for constructive conflict. When conflict is constructively managed, creative ideas are produce, long-lasting resolutions are agreed upon because I take personal, face-to-face responsibility for my choices and am involved and committed to the outcome.
• The opportunity to discuss real issues & interests. When we're in conflict we don't know how to discuss issues. I get stuck in my position, my solution. CMC will help you move from your positions to your interests, creating the opportunity for genuine resolution.
• An alternative approach for dealing with many conflicts that are unlikely to find an adequate resolution in the courts, the HR department, avoidance, or the police station.
• The opportunity to genuinely resolve conflicts. Life doesn't come in "one-size-fits-all". Everyone and every situation is different. Shouldn't conflict resolution provide us with the individuality needed, with resolutions that work for each of us?
CMC provides mediation for the following types of conflict
• Land use issues. We work regularly with developers & neighborhoods, complex infill, historic preservation, and many other challenging project opportunities.
• Citizen-Police complaints. We're a national leader in providing mediation for citizen complaints against the police, resulting in the best satisfaction rates in the country.
Groups. We facilitate complex taskforce groups, neighborhood association conflicts, planning sessions, and other multi-party situations.
• Community conflict. Maybe it is two neighbors fighting over barking dogs, loud stereo's or parked cars. Maybe it is a block of unhappy people, a homeowner association, or community. We'll mediate it!
• Workgroup disputes. CMC mediates with teams and workgroups in conflict, large or small. We do this in a confidential and forthright manner focusing on issues and finding resolution. We'll help you stop the unresolved conflict productivity drain.
"CMC - Helping People Talk to People"